Ecumenical Ministries of Oregon's Metro HomeShare (MHS) is designed to support individuals from all backgrounds and ages in securing affordable housing and to allow those at-risk of losing their housing to gain stability through homesharing. The program model includes a thorough vetting process to ensure both the Home Provider and the Home Seeker feel confident about entering a successful homeshare agreement.
Home Provider Criteria:
An individual with extra space in their home, who is able to legally rent the extra space and are willing to live with a housemate and share common areas of their home.
>> An individual seeking assistance in the form of rent or services or a combination of both.
Home Seeker Criteria;
>> An individual (or in some cases a couple or family) in need of housing and is willing to live with a housemate and share common areas of the home (e.g.,kitchen, livingroom, backyard, etc.).
>> An individual willing to participate in a service exchange agreement as part of the homeshare arrangement (e.g., housekeeping, petcare, companionship, etc.).
• Interested applicants will complete and submit application form and documents.
• MHS staff will conduct home visits and run background, rental and credit checks, ensuring the applicant qualifies for the homeshare program.
• Home Providers and Home Seekers will attend separate orientations to receive information and coaching on interviewing and entering the homeshare agreement.
• MHS Staff will collect information and build a client profile in the MHS Database.
• Match candidates will be released to Home Seekers following the intake.
• Home Provider and Home Seeker will complete a phone interview.
• Both clients will meet with dispute resolution office to complete the contract negotiations.
• Clients will be offered an optional trial move-in period before the final agreement is signed.
• Clients will sign and finalize the rental agreement alongside MHS Staff and set a move-in date and a 60-day match follow-up appointment with dispute resolution.
• Once the Home Seeker has moved into the home, the match has started.
• Clients will attend the 60-day match follow-up with dispute resolution.
MHS Staff will conduct periodic check-ins to evaluate and track progress.
• Ongoing support from MHS will continue for two years after the match is made.
• When clients are ready to end a match, MHS staff will conduct exit intakes with both parties.
• If matches are ended on good terms, and clients would like to be re-listed, MHS staff will re-enter them into the MHS database.
(503) 221-1054, ext. 212
10011 SE Division St., Suite 314, Portland, OR 97266
For latest news and updates please follow Metro HomeShare on Facebook.
Back to main MHS page