• Comprehensive and compassionate resettlement services
• Case management
• Advocacy, immigration and asylum counseling
• Legal services
• Volunteer recruitment to help refugees build new lives in our community
You are welcome to visit the SOAR office at:
7931 NE Halsey St., Ste. 314
Portland, OR 97213
Phone: (503) 284-3002
Sponsors Organized to Assist Refugees (SOAR), an affiliate of Church World Service, resettles hundreds of refugees a year. SOAR links sponsors—congregations, friends or community organizations—with refugees before they arrive in the United States, and helps sponsors welcome and assist the refugees in their adjustment to a new life in the Portland metro area.
- Sponsorship development and training
- Immigration and political asylum counseling
- Community and global education
- Translation and interpretation services
- Cultural orientation
- English tutoring
For more information about how refugees immigrate to Portland through SOAR and to learn more about one refugee’s experience, read the July 2002 Voice article on page 4. The featured story is about a refugee who fled religious and political persecution in his native country, and with the help of a friend and SOAR, found a local Portland church to sponsor him to the United States.
You, your church, friends or community organization can help resettle an individual or family. Sponsors create a hospitable environment for refugees and provide for material needs upon their arrival to the United States. Sponsors also help refugees find affordable housing, greet refugees at the airport, help with transportation, be a friend in time of need and assist with other tasks necessary to a new life.
SOAR welcomes donations for newly arriving refugees. Items in high demand include:
• dishes, pots, pans and silverware
• men’s clothing
• toiletries (soap, toothpaste, deodorant, towels, etc.).
• towels and wash cloths
• bed linens, warm blankets, pillows
All donations are tax deductible and greatly appreciated.
• Sponsor refugees
• Acquaint refugees to American culture
• Tutor English
• Pick up refugees from the airport
• Accompany clients to appointments, either on public transit or with private vehicle
• Donations Coordination: Solicit and pick up donations
• Contribute money to help meet emergency financial needs
For more information about SOAR or volunteering for SOAR, call (503) 284-3002 or e-mail email@example.com.
You are welcome to visit the SOAR office at 7931 NE Halsey St., Ste. 314,
Portland, OR 97213.
Vesna Vila, Program Manager
Phone: (503) 284-3002